Schedule: Monday – Friday, 7am – 3pm, Overtime as directed.
The primary role and duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Daily review of inpatient treatment charts to determine medication and fluid usage over prior 24h period to determine inventory order needs.
- Review of inpatient charts to ensure inventory correctly invoiced.
- Maintains appropriate stock levels of all supplies (medical & non-medial) and medications for McGee Medicine Center.
- Place supply and medication orders routinely based on assessment of present inventory and ongoing usage and need.
- Confirm order delivery quantities and accurate pricing.
- Control overstocking and waste by properly managing all stock areas.
- Keep record of backordered medical and non-medical items and maintain communication with our pharmacy/outside companies regarding return to stock date(s).
- Stocking and maintain organization of fluid room/areas.
- Assists in reduction of waste and spoilage by surveillance of expiration dates, temperature/light sensitive medications, etc.
- Update billing personnel and doctors of new stock items, along with pricing.
- Order and maintain commercial plasma inventory.
- Order Oxygen and Nitrogen tanks and rotation inventory as indicated.
- Order grain, hay, shavings, and ice for Medicine department weekly.
- Maintain inventory of miscellaneous medical supplies to include CryoStride® Ice Boots, abdominal belly bands, Soft Ride® boots and associated patient invoicing.
- Identifies new supplies, medications, and equipment for possible advanced uses or for increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
Infectious Disease Control/Surveillance (IDC)
- Perform weekly environmental testing.
- Notify appropriate staff of any positive environmental or patient results and associated disinfecting/patient management plan(s).
- Review inpatient charts for appropriate Salmonella and rotavirus testing as per hospital protocol.
- Communicate positive testing to medicine clinician and/or technicians.
- Communicate with Hagyard Laboratory regarding IDC results for McGee Medicine Center.
- Maintain an annual Excel spreadsheet of hospitalized patients diagnosed with an infectious disease.
- Assist in compiling IDC data for ongoing/future veterinary studies.
- Ability to lift 75 -100 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Equine knowledge and experience preferred.
- General computer & Microsoft Office Programs knowledge a must.
- Excellent communicator.
- Organized & detail oriented.