The Hagyard Equine Medical Institute externship program provides students the opportunity to gain “real-world” experience in a group practice dedicated to caring for some of the most valued equine patients in the world. The program design allows students to choose from a wide array of high quality equine veterinary medical services, each one a specialty of the firm.
Field Care Externship:
The student will observe primary field veterinarians and experience services ranging from reproduction, radiology, and herd health to acupuncture and chiropractic medicine. Students must have transportation if they choose to participate in this externship. Available from February – June and August - October.
The student will observe ACVIM board-certified internists at the McGee Medicine Center, in addition to patients in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Intermediate Care Barn, and Primary Care Barn. Available from February – October.
The student will observe a variety of surgery procedures within the Davidson Surgery Center, in addition to nuclear scintigraphy, digital radiography, and MRI. Available from February – August.
Prerequisites for Externship:
- Primary professional interest in equine veterinary medicine.
- Preferences given to third and fourth year veterinary student or graduate veterinarian.
- Transportation to and from Hagyard.
E-mail information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of Intent – Include the specific dates you would like to participate in an externship as well as the areas of Hagyard in which you are interested.
- Two months notice is preferred.
Externship Dates and Durations:
- Minimum of one week not to exceed two weeks.
- Most externships offered during the months of February - October.
Living Quarters: Three on-site dorm rooms are available by request. If no on-site housing is available, housing is the responsibility of the extern. A list of alternative housing options will be provided.