The History of Hagyard Equine Medical Institute
For more than 140 years, the veterinarians of Hagyard-Davidson-McGee Associates, PLLC, have dedicated themselves to the health and well-being of the horse. In 1875, Dr. E.T. Hagyard, a graduate of Professor Dick's Veterinary College in Edinburgh, Scotland, came to Kentucky to treat a valuable shorthorn bull. Impressed with the quality of Dr. Hagyard's services, the shorthorn breeders urged him to move to Kentucky. Struck by the beauty of the countryside and because of the opportunities for himself and his three sons, Dr. E.T. Hagyard came to practice in Winchester in 1876. A year later, Dr. Hagyard moved to Lexington and in 1891, the E.T. Hagyard and Sons veterinary hospital was built on East Short Street.
Since its inception in 1876, Hagyard Equine Medical Institute has been at the forefront of equine medicine. Its reputation is built, in part, on a continued effort to increase veterinary knowledge and thereby improve the state-of-the-art treatments and surgeries offered to its diverse equine clientele which represent international breeding operations, world-renowned racehorses as well as performance and pleasure horses.
The original practice grew until Dr. Hagyard's grandson, Dr. Charlie Hagyard, was joined by Drs. Arthur Davidson and William R. McGee. This newly formed partnership provided the equine industry with a veterinary establishment that could offer several talented veterinarians working as one, to provide the highest quality of equine healthcare.
Over the years, the practice encountered several name changes and in 1951, after the death of E.T. Hagyard, adopted the name of Hagyard-Davidson-McGee Associates, P.S.C. In 2004, the current name, Hagyard Equine Medical Institute was established with the philosophy of highlighting each department and paying homage to our founders by establishing the names Davidson Surgery Center, McGee Medicine Center, McGee Fertility Center, and Hagyard Laboratory.
Today, this philosophy and practice continues at Hagyard Equine Medical Institute. With more than 50 veterinarians and a well-educated, experienced staff of support personnel all contributing a variety of specialties and interests, Hagyard is able - on a regular basis - to achieve superior results. No other single non-university veterinary group in the equine world is currently able to match its qualifications.
The talent of Hagyard's veterinarians and dedication of its staff provide to client and patients alike a level of care unequaled anywhere in the equine industry.
Campus tours are provided by appointment only. For more information click here.